Preparing To Move
Thanks for scheduling your move with Muscular Moving Men. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you. Please take a moment to review the recommended to-do list before the big day. Click the link below to watch our YouTube video on what to expect on moving day. Please call our office with any questions or concerns and thanks for putting your trust in Muscular Moving Men.
Moving Day Checklist
A MONTH BEFORE THE MOVE
- Reserve a moving company for your move as soon as you know you are moving. If you need packing assistance, Muscular Moving Men can also pack up your house, apartment, or condo for you.
- Visit your local Muscular Moving Men to purchase moving supplies
- Start to clean out closets, the garage, and attic.
- Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Arrange to transfer school records.
- Get change of address cards from your local post office or use Muscular Moving Men Concierge to start the process
- Notify magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, and all other organizations of your change of address.
- If possible, get owner’s manuals for appliances in your new home.
TWO TO THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Make a “survival closet” of things you will need for the final clean-up and include snacks for the last day.
- If you decide to pack yourself, label all moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the right place in your new home. If you’re pressed for time, or overwhelmed with packing, contact Muscular Moving Men to let us pack for you
- Schedule disconnects for utilities such as gas, electric, water and the telephone. If you have a landline, do not disconnect it until after your move. Muscular Moving Men Concierge
- Cancel newspapers, Internet, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance, and any other services you receive.
THE WEEK OF THE MOVE
- Mail in your change of address forms.
- Clean the stove and finish up any last minute cleaning before move day.
- Finish up packing and be sure all items are boxed and ready to go prior to the movers’ arrival.
THE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE
- Clean the refrigerator, then defrost and dry.
- Get enough cash to tide you over. Cash comes in handy if you need to order pizza during your move, or dinner in your new place!
- Say goodbye to your neighbors!
DAY OF THE MOVE
- Pack your suitcase and day of the move box with all necessary essentials to get you through the next few days in case you don’t get to unpacking right away.
- Be sure you’re present when the movers arrive so you can walk them through the home and indicate what you need moved or anything in particular they should be aware of.
- Once all belongings are loaded onto the moving truck, be sure to do one more walkthrough and lock all windows and outside doors, in addition to checking all lights and your thermostat are off before heading to your new home.